Thursday, April 25, 2024

The State of the Sprite 2

 


I drew this like a year ago or something, but something about this has stuck with me. I think I finally figured out what: this is the style I should aim for.

Obviously it's not good drawing by any means, but I think its simplicity holds the key to a decent art style. The prominent lineart could be done away with in favor of something more subtle, and the shading needs more depth to it to look good. The anatomy is off, and maybe I could put more detail into the hair. But looking at this as a whole, it definitely has some benefits as a sprite art style over my more recent creations.

Compare with this produced several months later:


My main gripes with this are the eyes and sketchy outlines (though I'm not as against sketchy lineart as a whole), but otherwise I think there's some pointers I can take from it in terms of style.

Now check out this abomination I shat out an hour ago:


The rendering seems way too detailed for how simplified the actual anatomy is. Maybe with slightly better anatomy this kind of rendering could work in CGs, but as a sprite, this is kinda ass.


No comments:

Post a Comment